Tuesday 4 May 2010

Microstock: A guide to a simple workflow

Microstock is all about selling lots of images, so it's essential to have an efficient workflow when submitting photos for approval, especially if you're submitting to multiple agencies.  Below is a brief guide to the tools/steps I use, but it would be great to hear of other recommendations, as I'd love to keep my uploading time down to a minimum!
  • Take great photos (the really hard bit!), ideally with perfect composition, commericial content and great light.  Definitely take in RAW format and with as low an ISO as possible.
  • Download photos to a computer and get ready to do the RAW conversion and then any editing.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0, but for those with more generous budgets, Adobe have other products available:



    •  Do any necessary editing, which may include:
      • Cropping, straightening horizons and adjusting perspective
      • Removing any copyright/trademarks
      • Adding layers to adjust levels, saturation, etc.
      • Zooming in, then using the healing tools to remove spot marks
      • Sharpening
      • [adding keywords and captions, if possible - it isn't in Photoshop Elements 6.0 -grrr!]
      • Saving as a .jpg at the highest image quality
    • To help think about suitable keywords (essential otherwise buyers wont find your great photos), there are a couple of tools out there which can help.  I use the excellent tool developed by Yuri Arcurs, the legendary microstocker.
    • Rather than add keywords at each site individually, it saves a load of time to do this before submission.   I use Geosetter for this, if you can't do it in your editing software
    • Now for uploading... I use two approaches:
    Which tricks am I missing?!?

      3 comments:

      1. Hi Rich - Have you tried the Beta version of Adobe Lightroom 3? It is fantastic and it allows you to do bulk editing on keywords. It is all I use to edit my submissions now. I will check out DeepMeta though as uploading to istock is a pretty poor experience.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Excellent article, looks like you have a pretty decent workflow.
        Not sure if you know about picNiche but I have a toolbar out for tracking your earnings, and have just released to public beta a new tool/app called the "picNiche Image Deck" which aims to vastly improve submission workflow for microstock. You can see more at http://www.picNiche.com/toolbar/imagedeck/ or read the blog post at: http://picniche.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/introducing-the-picniche-image-deck-open-beta/
        I hope that can help speed up your workflow even more :)

        ReplyDelete
      3. Andrew - thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I'd love to try out Lightroom, but my computer is creaking a little bit, so not sure if it'll cope (I might treat myself to an upgrade soon though, so I'll add it to the shopping list!).

        Bob - thanks too for your comments. I've checked out your website and the tool sounds really useful. When I get a chance, I'll look to grab the beta version and give it a try.

        ReplyDelete